Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Shopkeeper Chic

I grew up in a very small town in Virginia that has seen its main street (and main industries) wane in the  last two decades, so I have a soft spot for the brave folks who are keeping the small business spirit of the South alive and who take the risk to open beautiful shops and keep them open.

One such shop is the Farmer's Wife in Greensboro, North Carolina, a delightful spot that's housed in a former turn-of-the-century grocery warehouse. It's one of my favorite stops on my way home to Virginia for interesting bits of architectural salvage, gorgeous art, antique furniture, and more. There is calm there, a quiet, but also a rich, wonderful sense of style and appreciation for the odd and the imperfect that I love.

And it just so happens that the owner, Dan Garrett, lives above the shop in true old-school shopkeeper fashion, and his transformation of the upstairs space is equally wonderful.

Photos from the story I produced for the December/January issue of Garden & Gun about Garrett's home follow below. For the full story and gallery of photos turn to page 51 of the magazine or click here.




3 comments:

René said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so happy to read this post! Farmer's Wife is and has been one of my favorite shops for years. Greensboro is my home :).

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I am loving Garden & Gun more and more each month.

Dawn Moraga said...

I'm so happy ran into your blog we are about to build our charleston inspired beach house and loving your work! Good to see your doing amazing... I remember you and chandler from martinsville . Dawn Gray Moraga