Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Chair to Remember

I like interesting chairs. Odd chairs. Chairs with wacky shapes. I think they're a great way to add youth and whimsy to more traditional spaces.

And while I'm a fan of playful Thonet chairs and quirky midcentury chairs and both are very popular in the design world right now, yesterday I was wracking my brain for another look with a fun shape and a lightbulb went off when I remembered the iconic tulip chair (pictured below) from the Historic Charleston Foundation's long-standing collection with Baker Furniture.


(via)



Even though the inspiration for the design dates to the 19th-century South, the white finish and tulip-shaped back feel not only current, but modern in my book. Case in point: the photo of the chair used in a 21st-century environment below.


(via)


I can't wait to use them as dining chairs and beyond in my interior design projects (though I'm secretly coveting a few for my own house, too).

No comments: