Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Southern Star

I have a tendency to fall hard for certain decorative motifs and use them over and over again in different ways.

During the holiday season, one such decorative motif is the Moravian star. I've been fond of Moravian stars for as long as I can remember because they remind me of childhood trips to see them on display during the holidays inside the restored 18th-century Moravian village of Old Salem in Winston-Salem, North Carolina—which is just over the state line from my Virginia hometown.

I feel a connection to their history because of those visits, a connection to the fact that the Moravian star is one of the most enduring December symbols of Old Salem and its rich European heritage. And I find it remarkable that even now, centuries later and smack in the middle of the modern city of Winston-Salem that surrounds Old Salem, you'll still see front porch after front porch lit by the glow of giant Moravian star lanterns similar to the example pictured below.


(via)

Last year I visited Old Salem again (more on that here) and purchased a lantern similar to the example below for my house in Charleston, South Carolina. 



(via)


That experiment worked out so well that this year I ordered the Moravian star ornaments below for my tree:



(via)

And the Moravian star cookie cutters pictured below for tying into the bows on my holiday packages:


(via)

Beyond the holidays I also think the festive, welcoming shape of Moravian star-inspired lighting looks great in an entryway and I'm really drawn to the idea of several hung over a bar (check out the photo below and you'll see where I'm going with this thought). Isn't it fun?



(via)

If you love the above look as much as I do, you can shop for similar lights here and here.

No comments: