Thursday, February 21, 2013

Salt Cellars: Then and Now

This post was inspired by my wonderful friend and celebrated Charleston chef Sarah O'Kelley, who I wrote about here.

Sarah knows me well.

When I opened up my birthday gift from her the other night, I almost teared up. There, inside many, many layers of tissue paper, were two mint and gold salt cellars that she found in New Orleans for me (photo below).



Aren't they awesome?

Her gesture was incredibly thoughtful because a) I have a soft spot and a history with the city of New Orleans and b) I also have a soft spot for salt cellars.

I love them because they are tiny works of art but they're not precious. Read: they're meant to be used, not just looked at.

And because everyone's into the idea of a pinch of gourmet salt right now (bourbon smoked salt, pink salt, black salt), salt cellars seem to be making a contemporary comeback. I'm as partial to the antique beauties that have been in my paternal Grandfather's South Carolina side of the family for generations as much as I am all the vintage and modern versions.

If you're into epicurean chic, too, check out a few of my favorite old and new takes on the classic idea below:



(via)


(via)



(via)


(via)





(via)

No comments: